For WordCamp Europe 2019, I was invited to share my thoughts on WordPress, blockchain and a 100% Open Source future. For me, giving a keynote on this topic for 2.500 developers was one of the coolest things to do.
In my opinion, Open Source technology is the only way to build an inclusive and free society. Or – more dramatically stated – it’s our only way out in a society in which companies have more data about us then we have ourselves.
Keynote From WordPress to blockchain: The future is 100% open source
What if businesses, planet earth, and the galaxy operated with the friendliness and openness of the WordPress community? We conquered the CMS market, why not take over everything else?
In this 30-minute talk and Q&A, I take you on a journey to a 100% open-source world:
The questions being asked during the Q&A (and the timestamp of their answer):
- 28:27 “What happens if somebody steals your content?”
- 29:14 “Is there a way to prevent people from stealing?”
- 30:03 “What is your take on decentralized WordPress hosting?” “With WordPress and blockchain, we might be able to build and host uncrackable websites, soon!” – @delans on decentralized WordPress hosting
- 31:14 “Which blockchain do you use and why?”
- 32:24 “How can I as a developer get started with blockchain development?” –
- 33:05 “What is the environmental impact of the blockchain WordProof uses?”
- 33:58 “How could a Decentralized Autonomous Corporation start? What is the WordProof business model?”
- 34:53 “Is it possible to automate timestamping?”
- 36:17 ”What part of the content is part of the timestamp?”
- 36:58 Inclusive funding of Open Source software with a Worker Proposal
The bold numbers refer to the time in the video of the keynote where the question is being asked.
The day of the keynote, marked a special day for me and the WordProof team, as it was our initial product launch: WordProof Timestamp v1.0.
WordPress & blockchain makes WordProof
Since the start of 2019, I work full-time on WordProof; a tool to timestamp your content within a blockchain. This helps you to prove authenticity, proof existence and thereby protecting your valuable content.
This has great side-effects like copyright protection, possibly future SEO benefits, and …
Learn more: “25 Reasons Why to Timestamp your Content with Blockchain”.
That Matt Mullenweg – founder of WordPress – said on WordProof: “It’s the coolest thing on WordPress and blockchain I’ve seen so far”
WordPress proves that Blockchain can Work!
For me, being an entrepreneur working full-time in the open-source space for more than 12 years, I see a lot of parallels between WordPress and blockchain:
- They’re both open-source software
- They’re both heavily competitive: WordPress in the battle of the CMS’es, and for blockchain, there’s a big range of different blockchains.
What if you unite the two open-source solutions? That’s what I asked myself at the end of 2018. As an answer, I started the WordProof Timestamp journey!